Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions

I almost didn't set resolutions this year, because of an article I read recently about not setting goals. (It is really interesting, I highly recommend it).  But the new year came around, and I couldn't help but wonder what I was going to do this year to make it the best yet. And all my goals seem to revolve around one main resolution:

Live life more intentionally. 

I don't want to let life just happen. I want to choose and create and be present in 2012. I learned a lot in 2011, but a lot of it just sort of happened- it slipped by and rolled along without me being the writer and creator of my own life. And that's ok. But this year I would like to change that. I want to wake up and do something each day- even if it is something simple- that I have consciously chosen to do. 

Here are some of my smaller resolutions that fit under my larger goal:

Anytime I am craving a sweet treat, make it myself instead of buying something.
Instead of waking up when my child does, wake up a few minutes before to stretch, pray, ponder, and make the bed.
Try one new recipe (again, simple ones) each week.
Have real dates with my husband (sorry Anna, Netflix and popcorn can't be the date every week).
Spend time playing (really playing) with Zeb each day.
Plan (and do!) activities and outings that would make Zeb happy.
Create things. Simple things. Meaningful things.
Be a home maker by making and creating the space I want. (I want to work off this calendar for cleaning and decluttering, it has simple suggestions each day that are do-able for even me.)
Be aware of my body and be healthy.

So, what about you? Do you set a long list of resolutions each year and refer back to them? Do you set them and then toss them after a few weeks? Or do you not worry about resolutions at all? 

If you write about your resolutions, leave a link so I can check them out!

Happy 2012!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you put in words what I've been thinking about doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey new blog! Fun. love your goals! It's important to set goals... ask Pres Monson :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "be aware of my body and be healthy". For me, I don't realize how much weight I gain/out of shape I am until I see pictures from a year ago or when I try to run. Then I realize that I got way to comfortable with not working out. I also like doing yoga every now and then because it has you focus on your body and listening to what your body wants/needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that article. Thanks for finding it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much. This was a timely reminder for me today.

    And thanks for the declutter calendar. I'm feeling seriously inspired to clear out the cluttery spaces of my life and this will sure help.

    ReplyDelete