Friday, March 11, 2011

Changes

For most of my life, my self-worth was directly related to how many things I was involved in. 

It seemed that I always had to be as involved and busy as possible to feel like I was special. 
But when I had my baby, something changed. There became one thing that I wanted to be involved in the most. I wanted to be busy with my family.
I always figured I would be a "career mom," working outside of the home while still loving and having enough time to be an awesome mother. (In fact, I remember a time when I wanted to be a single mom-the thought of marriage was gross-and adopt 26 kids all from different countries. Why 26? So I could name them all after a different letter of the alphabet. Silly? That's me.)   But when I had my baby, things changed. The first couple weeks back in the daily grind of work and school weren't bad at all. As the weeks progressed, I got more and more tired, and my mind and heart were more and more wrapped up in work. It became hard to give my son the attention, effort, and energy I would have liked simply because my life was spent in so many other places. 

Don't get me wrong, I had a great job, and a great academic life. The best. 
But it wasn't home
My heart began changing
So I made the decision to become a full-time stay at home mom. What a life change!

After answering to deadlines and supervisors, my time became mine to manage. 
Rather than counseling students and doing drama therapy, I became an entertainer for my baby.
Instead of positive feedback from clients and a paycheck, my validation was a child who babbles and cries. 
In place of a nice office with a window, I was suddenly the custodian to my own home. 
No more coming home exhausted from interaction with people, just craving human interaction.
Instead of finding happiness outside my house, I have found the deepest joy and fulfillment from a little 12 pound bundle of pure heaven.

I know that not every parent gets to stay at home, and I recognize that many people make different choices that are right for them. But what was right for me was choosing to stay at home. I've noticed three main improvements since staying home:
- My relationship with my child has gotten stronger and more tender
- My relationship with my husband had become less selfish and more patient
-My relationship with God has been given some much needed time and pondering. 

Now, it hasn't all been perfect. It is HARD work. The first two weeks I stayed home, it was like a vacation. Since I previously had very little free time, whatever free time I had was devoted to leisure. So the first two weeks of staying home were completely selfish. I watched tv, surfed the internet, read books, etc. After two weeks of being completely lazy and unfulfilled (not to mention having my house look like a disaster), I decided something had to change

Which brings us to now
Now I'm trying to learn how to manage time well and motivate myself without a deadline. 
Now I'm realizing that staying at home means that I become the creator of the home, physically and emotionally. 
Now I know that a child needs some sort of structure and activities. 
Now I know that it is possible for me to learn to cook and clean (and yes, even craft).
Now I'm discovering parts of myself I didn't know was there, just because of staying home. 

So please, join me on my journey. This blog will be all about staying home, being a woman, wifey stuff, growing and learning, creating a home, drama therapy, and things I think about a lot. I hope as you join me, you'll contribute your own thoughts as well, and a dialogue will be born.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I have had many struggles and joys being a stay at home mom - some days I wish I was back in the working world (for a brief moment) because I feel like my life doesn't mean anything and I'm not getting the constant validation from upper management about how well I'm doing and that has been hard when I just have a tantrum throwing 1 and a half year old to be the one who "tells" me how I'm doing as a mom. It is exhausting and as far from glamorous as you can get - but on the flip side, when my son leans over and gives me a kiss - or runs up and hugs me - or says mama when he sees me or a picture of me... that makes everything else WORTH IT! It makes me forget for that brief moment all the dirty diapers I change, and the throw up that I catch to keep it from getting everywhere, or the snot that I get to wipe constantly because he is my sweet boy that brings me more joy and fulfillment than anything else in this world could. :) I can't wait to share some ideas and things with you on here of how I have made my house more of a home with crafty (even though I'm not) things :) You are an amazing women!!! Thanks for doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! The exact same thing happened to me. I thought I would always work. After maternity, I was able to come back to work, and make my OWN schedule, work when I wanted to work, and have Jamie at home with Elijah. I thought it was PERFECT.

    Then I started missing Eli, and even though I had it "made" things seemed to get tougher for me. I felt spread thin.

    Jamie purposed that I stay home. After all what I made in a month (about 30 hrs of work) Jamie makes in 1 overtime shift.

    It just didn't make sense anymore. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to go back to work, because I wanted too, only to learn that it wasn't what I wanted AT ALL.

    I love being home with baby Eli! It's the most rewarding thing in life that I do. Taking care of my family.

    I think a lot of women go through this transition, and it can be especially hard on some.

    You are right though, we pick up "crafting" lol I got a sewing maching and took up sewing, and I LOVE IT!

    Looking so forward to your thoughts as a woman, and mother! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. invite me to your private blog!

    think.snow.just.ride@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how these little beings can change your life in ways much greater then you EVER imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I say that I am super jealous of you? You make being a stay at home mom sound so wonderful but also so challenging. My vision of being a stay at home mom is selfish too. Watching Netflix, reading a book, sewing - but I guess, just like you said, there is a child to take care of. I'm excited to read more about your thoughts! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Managing my time and motivating myself are the hardest. People may come to my home and think I lack the ability to work hard or follow--through. Not so It's easy to be accountable to someone else's expectations--I was always a stellar employee. I was up at 6:30 every morning to catch the train off to my internship position in DC--it's much harder to be accountable to your own expectations when there's no one else to account to. And I might add that I think there's probably a deeper sense of betrayal and ineptitude for letting yourself down (repeatedly) than a third party "boss."

    Sorry to be such a downer --I kinda had a bad day cleaning my house and should probably currently be in bed:-) YOU on the other hand are wonderful and I miss you and I loved your debut post as a Becktackular Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You give me hope. The longer I stay single and in the deeper I get into a career, etc., the harder it gets to imagine myself staying home and devoting myself to one thing entirely. I'm so used to outside activity and stimulation, I worry that I won't be as happy as a stay at home mom as I would have been a few years ago. I'm glad to hear I'm not doomed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I think this is a good and important conversation to have. I'm excited for your future posts.

    (Also, I'm so glad I got to see you on Saturday. Thanks for coming!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love you. :) Staying home isn't easy, like many think, but I agree, there's no place I'd rather be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about how there's different times and seasons for things. I've been missing dance and teaching and choreographing but I really feel like this is a time for me to be home, these boys need all my energy right now and Nathan needs support with his demanding grad program. My goal is to enjoy each season because it passes you by and you never get it back. I'm excited to go back to school and possibly have a career later in life. And I'm happy to have these experiences I have now. And what I'm learning now will apply to the things I do later. It's also interesting that you have different seasons within motherhood. With only one baby you can do more. Now with two I'm totally busy all the time, and I'm sure it's more complicated with three or four or more kids! Then things slow down again as they go to school. It's all amazing though, I don't want to take it for granted!

    ReplyDelete